Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Meaning Of Life And The Lies We're Fed About It


When I was a senior in high school, I took a composition class. The big final assignment was to make a senior valedictory.  Basically a farewell to high school. This project was pretty much the reason for taking the class. You write a paper, the exact contents of which I don’t really remember, and you get to make a video and show it to the class. This video was a compilation of what ever pictures you wanted to include to show your journey through life in general and high school. It definitely stuck with me more than any assignment I’ve ever done, and I think most people who have done it would agree. Although it hadn’t crossed my mind in a long time until very recently, I now find myself thinking about it a lot. And I get sort of angry about it. But why would an old high school assignment pop up in my mind and annoy me now? I mean at the time, it really was an awesome assignment.

There was one gigantic flaw to it though…

You had to answer a series of questions and talk about world events a little bit and just basically what you took out of high school. But one of the first questions you have to answer and pretty much the overall topic for the entire assignment was to come up with the meaning of life. I repeat, they asked a bunch of kids to tell you what the meaning of life is. Are you kidding me?! I was seventeen. I barely knew the meaning of algebra. You want me to tell you what the hell we’re doing here and why? I can’t tell you that now, nor do I ever expect to.  There are times that I’m pretty sure pizza and Oreos are the meaning of life. And some days, they are.

At the time, I wasn’t particularly bothered by it, so many other kids before me participated in it so it’s probably fine. Why should I have a problem with it if most other kids didn’t? I remember being shocked and then staring at my computer blankly before writing down something generic that I have no hope of remembering. I thought it was pretty weird to ask kids to wrap their head around something so immense so I purposely worded mine to be “the meaning of life according to a seventeen year old kid”. If someone picked up on it, great. If not, I still followed the rules.

I think the reason this assignment bothers me so much now is because I’ve been thinking a lot about perception recently. And how no two people see a situation the same. We all perceive everything completely different than the person next to us. That goes for something as small as whether or not that pizza was delicious (the answer is always yes) or something unimaginable like what is the meaning of life.

We all place our own meanings on everything. And those meanings change- constantly. This project bothers me because it puts the idea in kids’ heads that there actually is a meaning to life and we have to go find it. Just sending us on an endless and ultimately disappointing mission. If we spend all our time searching for the meaning of life, we’ll miss out on life itself, and therefore miss out on the answer.

I want so badly to go back in time and change my answer in the paper. I wish I had listened to my initial reaction and I wish I had challenged that assignment. I think the reason I get angry about it now is because I totally bought into it. Just like most everyone else. I sat there for hours trying to think of the right answer to a question that has no right answer.  I feel tricked.

I wish someone had said any of this to us when we were doing the assignment. I wish they told us to remember that there is no right answer and whatever you choose to say only needs to be true to you in that moment. And be comfortable with the fact that in the next moment, it might not be. It’s not a question of THE meaning of life, but rather YOUR meaning right now.


With Love

Kim


P.S. If you're interested in the video I've spent all this time talking about, here's the link to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment